Sunday, February 8, 2009

$1 a Day per Person for Food Challenge Update


Today I am catching up on my daily food totals for our $1 a Day per Person Food Challenge. Lately, it has been very difficult to type up our food journals for the day each night. I do write it down in a journal everyday to make sure I know what we have eaten out of our food supply and the cost of the food.

After completing a month of this challenge, my husband and I have discussed how it is working out. So far it has not been terrible; but, it has been a huge eye opener in the way that we eat and how fortunate we are that my mother and stepdad provide us with foods we otherwise wouldn't be able to afford. After one week into this challenge, I decided to make a conscious effort to feed my family more well balanced meals. I am trying extremely hard to make sure we eat as healthy as possible provided the amount of money we have to spend on food. With that said, I want my readers to be aware of something. We are not doing this challenge for fun; but, because we have to based on the income we currently have coming in. I wish we had the money to buy all of the fresh produce we wanted, but we don't. So until the garden blooms in the Spring, we are making do with what we can afford and the produce my Mom canned or froze last year.

We have decided to change the way we total our $1 a day per person. Up until now, I have been adding up the food at the end of each day, making sure that it is around $3 or less. Many of these days we have been under the $3 mark and my husband has questioned why we can't "roll over" the extra money and use it to eat something nicer the next day. He used the analogy of "rollover minutes" to discribe how he wanted to use the extra money for food. So after thinking about it, I decided he is right. So from now on, I will post our food totals for the week, not the day. We will try and keep it around $21.00 for the whole week, meaning $1 a day per person. This would also help with me being able to blog about other things than just what we eat. We are starting the new format for the challenge tomorrow, so I will update next Sunday on our $1 a Day per Person food Challenge!


$1 a Day per Person Food Challenge

Day 30: February 8, 2009

Breakfast
Paul:
1 Egg: .10
English Muffin: .10
1 cup Milk: .15

Jackie:
Yoplait Yogurt Free

Jackson:
Toaster Strudel: .10
1/2 cup Yogurt: Free

Snack
Jackson:
8oz Milk

Lunch and Dinner
All of Us:
Sunday Meals at Grammy and Grandpa's House: Free

Snack
Paul and Jackie:
Brownie Sundaes: .40

Total Spent for the Day: $.98


Day 29: February 7, 2009

Breakfast
All of Us:
2 Egg: .20
Cheese: Free
2 slices of Bologna: .20
1/2 cup milk: .10
3 Buttermilk Biscuits: .30

Snack
Jackson:
8oz Milk

Lunch
All of Us:
Hamburger Helper
Kit: .67
Meat: 1.00
Milk: .20
Rolls: .30

Snack
Jackson:
8oz Milk

Dinner
All of Us:
Birthday Party: Free

Snack
Paul and Jackie:
Brownie Sundaes: .40

Total Spent for the Day: $3.37


Day 28: February 6, 2009

Breakfast
All of Us:
Toaster Strudel: .30
Homemade Applesauce: Free
Milk for Jackson

Lunch
Paul:
2 Hot Dogs: .30
Chips: .15
Manager Special Bread: .10
2 Diet Mt. Dew: .20

Jackie:
Chicken Salad Pita: .20
Steamers Corn .15

Jackson:
Leftover Tacos: Free
8oz Milk

Snack
Jackson: Homemade Applesauce: Free

Dinner
All of Us:
Chicken and Rice: 1.00

Snack
Paul and Jackie:
Brownie Sundaes: .60

Total Spent for the Day: $3.00



Day 27: February 5, 2009

Breakfast
All of Us:
Brown Sugar Oatmeal Pancakes: $.60
Half Apple Juice/Half Water: $.05
8oz Milk

Lunch
All of Us:
Grammy's Chili: Free
Leftover Baked Potatoes: Free

Jackson:
8oz Milk

Dinner
All of Us:
Taco Thursday
Ground Turkey: 1.00
Taco Seasoning: .35
Tomato: .15
Lettuce: .20
Cheese: Free
Chips: .22

Total Spent for the Day: $2.57

1 comment:

  1. ah i am sorry but i wonder why people have 2 think before eating .

    ReplyDelete