Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Eating for $1 a day Per Person

I thought I would blog for a few minutes while Jackson is napping and before Jacob gets here (the 6 month old that I watch during the day.) I have been looking at other Mom's websites and I am really hoping that my step dad Randy will help me set up a really nice website so I can put lots of information about our journey to lead a similar life, while trying to get out of debt.

My husband, Paul and myself have decided to try and eat for as little as possible. We are hoping to stick to around $1 a day per person. I got this idea from another couple who blogged about a 30 day $1 a day challenge and from fact that the government only gives about $1 a day in food stamps for those on government aid. I am curious as to if it is possible to really eat for this amount of money and not have to sacrifice on nutrition. Our 1 year old Jackson, however will not have his milk included in these totals for the day because we all know milk is expensive and he needs it. I guess the main challenge is going to be in the meals that I cook and having Paul and I eat only one serving, so we then have leftovers for lunches. Some of you know that I am not the best cook, but I am going to try and get creative, plus find great bargains on food.

My plan is to log each meal and what it cost, so everyone else can see if we are successful in our $1 a day per person food challenge.

Day 1: January 7, 2009

Breakfast

Paul:
Bowl of Lucky Charms and 1 cup milk: $.25
Coffee: Free at Work

Jackson:
Whole Grain Waffle and Lite Syrup: $.15
Half Apple Juice/Half Water: $.05

Jackie:
Instant Grits and 1tsp butter: $.10
Half a Diet Coke: $.15

Lunch

Paul:
Can of Progresso Soup (Bargain Buy at Walgreens): $.15
5 saltine crackers: $.10
2 Reese's Clusters (Bargain Buy at Walgreens): $.10
Water

Jackie:
2/3 can of Progresso Chicken Noodle Soup (Bargain Buy at Walgreens): : $.10
Grilled Cheese Sandwich (Manager's Special bread): $.15
1/2 Diet Coke and Water $.15

Jackson
1/3 can Progresso Soup (Bargain Buy at Walgreens): $.05
1/2 Grilled Cheese Sandwich: $.07
Half Apple Juice/Half Water: $.05

Dinner

All of Us:
Grilled Chicken (From my Mom's freezer when they went Vegan): Free
1 1/2 cups Brown Rice $.50
Teriyaki marinade (Publix BOGO+Manufacture Coupon): Free
Steamed Veggie Medley: $.50
= $.33 a person

No comments:

Post a Comment