Thursday, January 29, 2009

In the words of Stephanie Tanner, "How RUDE!"


I know I have been a bad blogger this week, but wow has this week been long and trying. It started off on Sunday with us returning from our trip to Kentucky. We had an amazing time, but anytime you are away from your home for the entire weekend is feels like you never really catch up in all the things you need to do.


My usual Tuesday off, I spent at the doctor's office so I never was able to get my couponing done. I have looked at some other great blogs and plan to make a trip to CVS tonight to get the razor deals and the Pepsi Deal.


I did make it to Kroger last night to pick up a few more Green Giant Steamers before the Buy 10 Get $5 off deal is over. I bought 40 Green Giant Coupons on Ebay last week for $6 and planned to stock up. We can always use veggies! I went on Tuesday and bought 10, but that is all they had and I was starting to get nervous that I may have bought the coupons and then there were not going to be 40 Steamers for me to buy. We needed milk and eggs last night, so I decided to pick up the additional 30 Steamers while I was there. I got the items I needed, picked up the Steamers and then proceeded to count the Steamers and coupons 3 time to make sure I had 30 of each.


Then I made my way to the only check out line they had open. I noticed that the cashier was the same lady I had earlier in the week when I bought 10 Steamers and she was annoyed then, so I knew she was going to be highly annoyed at my 30 Steamers and 30 coupons. The first thing she said in a condescending manner when I got up to the register was, "So I see some one most REALLY like their veggies!" I explained to her that while they are at such a great price how could I pass up the opportunity to get vegetables for so cheap. Once she got done ringing them up I handed her my coupons and she looked at me and barked, "Which newspaper stand did you rob???" I explained to her that I had gotten them from a coupon clipper on Ebay. At this point she and the grocery bagger starting laughing about how crazy people are to buy coupons on Ebay. She finally scans my last coupon and it beeps. I look at her and say, "You must have forgotten to scan one of my steamers because it only gave me $5 off twice not three times and the coupon beeped." She looks at me and hands me my one coupon that beeped! I said to her, "No I want you to ring up one more Steamer so I get my $5 off." By now she is extremely agitated and proceeds to take all my Steamers back out of the bags to count them, all the while mumbling about how I was holding up the line! Sure enough she counted the items and I was right, there were 30! After she scanned it, my total went from $15 to $11 after taxes.


This is the second bargain trip in a row where the cashier has made a big deal about my coupons. Not to mention, it was especially hard to deal with last night because my husband's company had their forth round of layoffs and we are terrified about him losing his job. Some of us HAVE to save money anyway we can and it is upsetting when people make you feel like the "Coupon Villain" for trying to save money! HOW RUDE!!!!


I am hoping to make it to CVS tonight to buy the Gillette razors and Pepsi products that I need. I will post later with my purchases from last night and tonight! Thank you to On my way to Being Debt Free one coupon at a time! for the heads up on the CVS Gillette razor limits. The paper says limit 1 per ExtraCare card, but she found out there is really a limit of five per ExtraCare card! I want to give an extra special thanks to her for taking the time to email me and let me know about this!


Here are our food totals for yesterday:


$1 a Day per Person Food Challenge

Day 20: January 29, 2009

Breakfast
Paul:
Bowl of Lucky Charms: .15
1 cup milk: .20

Jackie:
Not feeling great, didn't eat! :(

Jackson:
Whole Grain Waffle and Lite Syrup: $.15
Strawberries: Free
Half Apple Juice/Half Water: $.05

Snack
Jackson:
8oz Milk
Strawberries and Cool Whip: Free

Lunch
Paul:
Leftover Hamburger Helper: Free
3 Cookies: .15
Bag of Popcorn: .15

Jackie:
Chips w/ Huluva Good Dip: .20

Jackson:
Leftover Hamburger Helper: Free
Strawberries: Free
8oz Milk

Snack
Jackson:
Peaches: Free

Jackie:
Bowl of Cheerios: .40


Dinner
Paul:
2 BBQ Sandwiches .20
3 Cookies:.15

Jackie:
Leftover Rice and Beans: .36

Jackson:
Grammy's Soup: Free
8oz Milk


Total Spent for the Day: $2.16

3 comments:

  1. ughh this is sooo irritating and very frusterating! I've actually switched up stores because of cashiers like this.. I actually go to the stores I like at different times/days too. I've explained over and over to a few of them "this is how my family eats" because both my husband and I were unemployed at the same time! 2008 was a tough year and I took a ton of abuse from the cashiers. *sigh* you aren't doing anything wrong and she is paid hourly so no matter how long you stand there it's not hurting her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get the same issues from cashiers at Kroger, too! I am not sure why that is...it's not like the coupon savings come out of their paycheck! Just hang in there, though, knowing that you are doing nothing wrong and that you will save your family money!
    Or..you could be like me and go to those cashiers that you know will be irritated on purpose... :) just kidding!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry you went through that! I hope you write a letter complaining to the manager or corporate. You did nothing wrong!

    ReplyDelete